The demand and supply are in perfect sync with each other. If the customer requires it then it is the responsibility of the companies or service providers to meet their demand.
This is how businesses grow online.
The same goes for grocery delivery app development as well.
The users demanded the easiest way to meet the grocery demands that allows them to shop everything from the confines of their homes. And what can be a better way than grocery apps?
This brings the question of “How to create an app like Instacart”
However, with the pandemic that we all are living with, on-demand grocery apps have come up as the major addition to our list of mobile apps.
The contactless deliveries are surging up higher than we can even predict that is making users get groceries delivered at home. One such application is Instacart that is thriving in the present market with an increase in demand.
In the present market, we have witnessed a sudden boom market with several more grocery apps popping up.
Grocery Delivery Apps have managed to suffice all the basic requirements of the customers with the topmost efficiency. Along with this ordering groceries online in just a few minutes and getting them delivered to the doorstep at the desired time is something that everyone appreciates. There are so many benefits of on-demand grocery delivery app development.
It is one of the most fundamental aspects of the grocery app that can help in bringing in new customers and widespread at affordable rates.
Nevertheless, it is essential to know that, just like any other apps, grocery app development works in a similar manner, similar features, and a few additional aspects. You can say that it is easy to develop Uber X for on-demand grocery delivery similar to the apps like Postmates and Instacart.
But if you are hitting on such giants then it is best to be prepared than to be late in the world of on-demand app development. The major factors to keep in mind are that it allows customers to browse through options, order, and get them safely delivered from the local stores.
So, with this said, let us walk you through how to build a grocery delivery app for your business.
Glimpse Into Instacart Grocery App
Before we jump into the on-demand grocery application development or understand “How to create an app like Instacart”, let us understand a few factors around the app like Instacart that are doing extremely great in the market.
Instacart is one of the major platforms that is thriving in the market with grocery services since June 2012. The company is founded by Apoorva Mehta, Max Mullen, and Brandon Leonardo with the owner as Maplebear Inc.
Here are a few stats and figures that can give you a better understanding of Instacart to build a grocery delivery app.
With this, you can understand how great Instacart is doing and with time it is thriving at a drastic rate.
Since we know the top food delivery apps, here are some on-demand grocery apps that have bloomed over the past few years similar to Instacart.
Additionally, it uses the four major rules that help it to succeed in the market. Let us walk you through the major steps that can help you as well with your grocery on-demand app or can help you find the answer to “How to create an app like Instacart”.
#1 User-Friendly & Quick
Another major aspect of a grocery app like Instacart is that it is user friendly and is easy to make an order for the next purchase. This can include customer satisfaction that makes them return for more and better services with groceries. Additionally, it is best to take care of the major features like payment gateway, store selection, cart process, etc. It is also vital to keep the unique selling proposition (USP) in mind while taking necessary measures.
#2 Increased Reach
The most logical way to increase your business in the market is to ensure that the on-demand grocery business reaches the maximum limit. Additionally, the internet is a major aspect of mobile apps that helps in attracting users easily and making them hooked to the apps. It is a way to increase the fame of the grocery app by adding up new retailers to the long list of the providers.
#3 Attractive Deals
The third aspect of why Instacart is famous is due to the increased popularity with the right deals and discounts for the users. It hooks the audience and keeps them loyal to the application. Whether it is about grocery discounts, deals, and offers, or even inviting new customers to the app, there should be a reward for it.
The last but one of the major on-demand grocery delivery app development aspects is to maintain customer demand. It is best to liquidity customer demand such as contactless deliveries at the doorstep at the earliest and easily. It is essential to ensure that the developers can trust the app and can give the best services as per the requirements of users. The motive is to ensure that the products are delivered at home right away as with the amplification of the results.
1. How Does The Instacart App Works?
With everything listed in the best way about Instacart, let us understand its working to dive deeper into the world to build a grocery delivery app.
#1 Business Model Segments
It is essential to understand that there are a majority of three parties that are going to be a part of the grocery app. Namely, Shoppers, Individual Buyers, and grocery stores that help in dealing with customers on end goals. Before you know “how to make online grocery app”, it is essential to know its major aspects.
Shoppers are the one that is going to offer delivery services that can review the orders and come up with the overall charge. If we talk about Instacart then they take the number of shoppers and send out the link to the application.
This mainly is divided up into two major parts such as in-store shoppers and full-time shoppers. The in-store shoppers are the ones that analyze the customer’s list and make the purchase for them as part-time work rather than pushing it for the delivery. Whereas full-time shoppers are the one that purchases and makes the delivery as full-time jobs.
Individual Buyers are the one that uses an app to make an order in the comfort of their homes. They can browse through the groceries online and then make the final purchase for the customers.
Grocery Stores are the service providers that offer the services of the retailer chains. This is a great way to bring the business online and spread some words around it.
The working process of the grocery app is extremely simple just like any other application. It works with the different steps of ordering like browsing through the options for the users, selecting the products, and making the final choice.
There are different specifications as well in Instacart that are included like parking location, special marks on the building, and entrance gates to get a proper insight. Then comes other instructions like delivery and grocery list that is included by the local shoppers.
The shopper will work on the grocery list and make the final purchase for the user by paying up with the app’s card. Lastly comes the final route, which is product delivery at the doorstep of users.
2. How to create an app like Instacart?
When it comes to developing an app like Instacart then it is essential to choose the business model that helps in determining the type of app that users need to focus upon. To get an accurate idea, here are the major business models that can help in getting the ideal results for the on-demand delivery app or help with the “how to make online grocery app”.
#1 Business Model
The major considerations that one needs to do while talking about a business model are a marketplace, single store, aggregators, and grocery chain that can also help in knowing the trending app ideas for businesses.
Marketplaces are the ones that work with their menu for the users. The shopping is done based on the menu by shoppers or users. Aggregators are the ones that gather the shops in a single database like Instacart and help users that can’t physically go out shopping.
Single Store apps work mainly on the loyalty program and regular clients. It includes the small local stores that offer services to the users. Grocery Chains work on the market players that focus on growing business naturally.
It is essential to choose the four aspects before diving to create grocery delivery app. Next is the major models on which one can decide for the grocery delivery app development.
- Subscription Model is a type of revenue model that is explained below that is a way to generate money based on a subscription plan.
- The commission model is the one that works on the commission charges while meeting the demand of users.
- Lastly, the service charges in which the online store’s profit is earned independently as per the benefit.
#2 Top-Most Features
The business model can be different but there are a few major features that are common in the mobile app and help to build a grocery delivery app that one needs to include such as:
- The browsing option is the one where users can go through different options and choose the products.
- Next is the search box that allows users to search for specific products with a clear category system.
- The shopping list works in creating lists and finalizing the order as an essential feature.
- Recommendations are next in line in which users get notification about the products that they usually search or purchase. It makes it easy to add quickly to create a shopping list.
- Cart is something where the final list will look like for the customers before they make the final purchase.
- The Payment gateway can include cash on delivery, GooglePay, Quickpay, PayPal, etc.
- Special Offers can help in listing out the broadening of the customer base with the best discounts, rewards, etc. in the form of a coupon.
- Order Tracking is the one where users can track their products and their delivery in real-time easily.
- In Schedule delivery, users can choose the time of the delivery of their products.
- The users can leave a review that can help others with useful information before finalizing the purchase, products, stores, and shoppers.
- Wishlist is also a part of the grocery app that helps in adding products that are not to be purchased instantly but in the coming time.
- Order Management is another part of the overall process that includes delivery schedules, order cancelation, tracking, monitoring order, etc. This makes it easy for the shopkeeper to streamline the delivery process and even give rights to users to cancel it as per their wish.
#3 Design of Mobile Apps
Once everything is designed comes the designing of the grocery app like Instacart that includes major aspects like market scenario. It is a way to thrive with uniqueness in mind that can take the business higher than competitors. Here is the major part of the design that one needs to keep in mind.
- Pain points are the major issues that need to be addressed in time that help in offering the right solution for the businesses to understand the right form. For instance, amid the pandemic, it is essential to give the user an easy way so that they can get the delivery at home for groceries.
- Another thing is to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of grocery apps with accurate competitors analysis. This is to ensure that the mistakes that others are doing are not followed by you but it is best to have an understanding of UX techniques to follow.
- It is essential to understand that the UI/UX design should be simple yet interactive that can hook the audience. It is best to follow the top mobile app UI design trends.
#4 Software Development
The major aspects of the software app are to ensure that the technical specifications are covered up properly in the app. To give you an understanding, here are several aspects:
- Choose the programming language properly that can work well with desktop and mobile applications.
- Next is the GAP navigation that is included as navigational support for the on-demand service. The desktop and mobile solutions must include the right tech that can track shoppers, store locations, and give apt directions.
- Online Payment Gateway is the one that includes well-known technologies such as PayPal and Stripe that can help in adding up new payment methods.
The tech-stack to build a grocery delivery app like Instacart is:
|Cloud Environment||Google, AWS, Azure|
|Database||MongoDB, Cassandra, MailChimp Integration, Hbase, Postgres|
|Payment Methods||Braintree, eWallets, PayPal, & Stripe|
|Push Notifications||Twilio, Push.io|
|Real-time Analysis||IBM, Cisco, BigData, Spark, Apache Flink, Hadoop|
|SMS, Voice, & Phone Verification||Nexmo, Twilio|
Here are a few blogs that can help you with tech stack:
Once this is set, it is essential to choose the right team for development such as project manager, designer, development, tester, etc. These factors will help you to determine the cost of grocery app development.
3. How to make money from grocery app?
How Instacart makes money from the app is one of the biggest questions that are to be answered. It is essential to know about mobile app monetization models to ensure that it is done in the right manner in your app as well. Here is the monetization of grocery apps to include in the business model.
- Membership Charges are the ones in which Instacart includes annual membership fees that give free delivery for groceries. It also includes some major terms and conditions that users need to include.
- Delivery Charges are the ones in which the standard charges of delivery are maintained that can differ with 1-hour and 2-hour delivery.
- Actual Price Hike is another aspect that means that stores can offer a markup hike on the products with around 15%+ increase. This is a way to ensure that shoppers can also earn a good amount.
The fact is that if you are coming up with a budget and cost of grocery app development then it is essential to know how you can generate revenue. To get a better understanding, you can also go through:
- Cost of mobile app development
- Cost to develop Android app
- How much does it cost to build an MVP
- Cost of mobile app design
- Cost to develop iOS app
- App maintenance cost
- Cost to develop on-demand delivery app
- How long does it take to develop an application?
Measures to Take Amid Pandemic
Running a grocery app amid the pandemic is not as easy as one might like to believe. There are so many aspects that are included in it to keep users safe and secure. As a result, the stores are opting for contactless deliveries that help in availing the necessary services without getting in touch with the consumers on any level. The impact on food chain industry amid COVID-19 is something that no one can ignore.
There is no need to get signatures and even the cash with the online payment as a secure mode. This is a great way to ensure that the users can make online payment without interacting with the delivery person.
Next is the gloves, hand sanitizers, disinfectant for the couriers and drivers. Also, the best way is to avoid any sick workers to work and give regular health check services to the employees for their security. The motive is to ensure that everyone is safe and secure without any issue with the COVID-19.
The major competitive advantage of doing so is:
Life of Grocery Apps After COVID
The fact is that there are so many things that will change after the quarantine is over. We have become so dependent on the grocery apps that life is going to take a drastic change. But how can we include these changes in our development services?
Our lifestyle and mentality have taken a great route but it is best to embrace the transformed habits and deliver something life-changing. So, after quarantine, the life of the gathering, traveling, shopping, and work will start but with an accepted set of rules.
Some major changes that we need to face are:
- Business Digital Transformation is the one that focuses on automation for the effectiveness of the mobile app that can work with data synchronization. It shows a massive transformation in every industry with the ideal way to grow and thrive in the business world.
- Next in the line of delivery is robots and drones that will make it possible for the business to get the delivery done via robots and drones. It is a great way that helps businesses to thrive with the right future and technical advancement.
It is a great way to include in the business to skyrocket in the market with the right business model amid pandemic. So, here is everything that you need to know about “How to create an app like Instacart” that can help you thrive in the pandemic and post-pandemic world.
Co-Founder and VP Mobile Architect of Appventurez. A software professional who is highly experienced in Android, Flutter, React Native. He is a passionate developer with excellent programming skill who believes in bridging the technology gap and making the life of a large number of people much easier through his wide knowledge and experience.
⚡️ by Appventurez
Hey there! This is Sitaram, author of this blog. Leave your email address and we'll keep you posted on what we're up to.
This will subscribe you to Appventurez once-a-month newsletter. You can unsubscribe anytime. And we promise not to pester you or share your data :)
Hey there, wondering where this article came from? It was produced by some people at Appventurez, a Mobile & Web App Development Company. We are here for solutioning of your technological needs.
Our Latest Blog
Whether you have a boutique in a beach town or a cosmetic store in the city, yo...Read more
Table Of Contents -Mobile App Rewriting Vs Refactoring: Both Are Not Synonym...Read more