Xamarin and React Native are the most preferred frameworks for cross-platform mobile app development. Know how they are different and which one is a better fit for your project.
Remote working, laptops and usage of mobile applications grew vigorously during the coronavirus-induced pandemic. COVID-19 has revamped the way people use smartphones. According to App Annie, ‘Four of the top five business apps revolved around collaboration and video conferencing’ in 2020.
COVID-19 pandemic has forced people to spend more time indoors and the app store was greatly affected. People switched to digital channels for various day to day tasks.
And thus begin the race to create innovative, cutting-edge applications.
In light of the growing competition in the mobile market, business leaders are all set to make their presence felt on both (Google Play and App store) platforms, instead of choosing one.
However, it can prove to be a resource-heavy task for businessmen to extend their services across different mobile app platforms. Cross-platform app development frameworks come in to rescue these types of businesses.
Why Get Into Cross-Platform Mobile Development?
Why think of designing native iOS or Android software when you can create something to accommodate them both by making just half of the efforts?
According to Statista, ‘Over 98% of smartphones in the world use either Android or iOS as their main operating system.’ Henceforth, it’s only natural for the companies to satisfy the users of both of these giants.
There are several benefits of cross-platform mobile development:
- Reduced time to market as developing one takes a lot less time than building two-three apps for each platform.
- Cross-platform mobile development allows reusing a code. This results in faster and cheaper development and, in turn, quicker profits.
- They make use of a native rendering engine to bring out a close-to-native app experience but with the additional benefits of code shareability in the most economical manner.
- B2B and business process automation apps will surely benefit from it as time management and efficient resources utilization holds more value than a classy look and feel.
With more and more brands focusing on cross-platform app development, it has become of utmost importance to ensure that app development takes place on the right platform.
Though there are numerous other advanced tools accessible now which can be utilized, Xamarin and React Native application development are the ideal choice of such famous instruments.
Before starting the comparison of Xamarin VS React Native with conceptual and logical factors, let’s know the underlying tenets of these cross-development platforms in a brief.
Introduction To React Native
Here are some compelling stats for the market usage of React Native:
- 58.5% of the developing community loves using React Native.
- 11.5% of developers prefer to use React Native for its native tools and libraries.
- In 2020, 42% of developers are reported to use RN for cross-platform application development.
1 – Flexible Development
The response to how React Native works lies in its working. It works with a basic programming approach where portable application designers are required to follow a succession of activities for making a UI.
This disentangles the versatile application advancement procedure and assists with propelling an application quicker just as keep up it occasionally. This dominating advantage of React Native makes it favourable for app developers.
2 – Secluded Architecture
In the event of React Native application optimization, you can figure the application code into various autonomous squares. This improves adaptability and makes it simpler to redesign and refresh the application.
3 – Instant Arrangements & Libraries
Different tools, libraries, and structures, for example, devices for type checking exist in the market that gives React Native application coders a getaway from tedious issues – making it simpler for them to code an application effectively, quickly and profitably.
4 – Hot Reloading
With the hot reloading feature, React Native mobile app development becomes a lot better.
It basically means that one can read the progressions and see changes in the code made by the developer in real-time without having to fully reload the app.
5 – Simple Entry To The Mobile Market
6 – A Large Community Of Developers
Introduction to Xamarin
Xamarin is a popular, open-source cross-platform app development framework. It came into existence in the year 2011 and was later acquired by Microsoft in 2016.
To design and develop a Xamarin application, you have to code in C#. Therefore, a level of expertise is required in C# to develop Windows, iOS and Android applications.
It also uses the .NET framework and XAML (a markup and data binding language for an app). All in all, deep expertise in this particular language is required. To explore more about the advantages of Xamarin, let’s discuss some of its key factors:
1 – Complete Development Environment
Xamarin system offers a total bundle of improvement toolset under a similar rooftop, involving its own IDE (Visual Studio), stages (Xamarin SDKs), circulation and examination (Hockeyapp and Xamarin.Insights), and testing (Xamarin Test Cloud).
This suggests you need not put resources into incorporating any outsider instrument or switch between various improvement stages to fabricate a total versatility arrangement.
2 – Shared Code
Applications made by Xamarin are meant to run on multiple platforms but they share a common code base. The only thing a developer needs to take care of is the user interface. This is essential to ensure that each platform retains its native feel and appearance.
3 – Native Performance
Xamarin is renowned in the world of development to provide a highly native yet simple application performance. In comparison to other cross-platform app development frameworks, Xamarin prides itself on offering unparalleled performance.
4 – Huge Hardware Support
Xamarin empowers you to appreciate local-like application usefulness in your application. It destroys the equipment similarity issues with the assistance of certain APIs and modules and guarantees normal gadgets’ usefulness on all the stages.
Likewise, the device additionally helps engineers to connect local libraries into their codes and lift customization.
5 – Local Like UX
Xamarin utilizes stage explicit UI components which makes it conceivable to convey an impeccable client experience. The Xamarin system utilizes Xamarin.Forms for changing application UI segments into other explicit elements.
This upgrade is done at the time of developing a cross-platform application. The cross-platform features in Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android are merged while creating the application. This counts as another big advantage of Xamarin.
6 – Astounding Performance
Not at all like other electronic innovations, the Xamarin app development process gives local execution much like what is offered by Java in Android applications and Objective-C (or Swift) on account of iOS applications.
By utilizing various tools to create, test and break down the application structure, before the application launch, it is made accessible inside Visual Studio.
7 – Streamlined Maintenance
The stage gives better upkeep office at lower cost and time by empowering the Xamarin designers to send the updates to the source record that is additionally applied on both Android and iOS stages. This pointer is also necessary to discuss in Xamarin vs React Native comparison.
Notwithstanding, the progressions are material just when the application utilizes Xamarin.Forms, shared code, business rationale, and updates for Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS applications.
Choose Appventurez’s Xamarin App Developers For Your Next Project.
Xamarin and React Native are exceptional technologies well-known for versatile application development. But which one is better? Which one would be an ideal choice for your next awesome app? Read on to address your queries step-by-step.
This article will give you a compact examination of the two systems. So how about we start the profound correlation between these frameworks?
Comparison Of The Capabilities And Key Features Of React Native And Xamarin
Choosing the right tools and techniques is the key to an incredible application. Tools like Xamarin and React-native stay at loggerheads in terms of leading cross-platform application development.
Understanding the difference between the two will give you a better perspective in selecting the best developmental environment for your applications. What to consider when comparing Xamarin and React Native? This side-by-side might just help!
1 – Performance
Whether it’s a react native mobile app or one built with Xamarin, every application needs to perform well to earn all of the publicity and favourable user response.
- React Native: It gives close local execution. With React Native, you can manufacture super-quick applications. The official site may guarantee that it gives a local presentation, however, remember that genuine local exhibition can be accomplished uniquely with local dialects, for example, Java, Objective-C, and Swift.
This framework allows developers to use native code in their application, so parts of the app are built with native code and the rest with React Native. The use of native code significantly improves the application’s presentation.
- Xamarin: Xamarin allows you to build high-performance and superior applications. It utilizes stage explicit equipment quickening to give extraordinary application speed. So like React Native, Xamarin likewise gives a close local presentation.
2 – Development Environment
The main purpose of the Xamarin vs React Native comparison is the amount of flexibility about using IDE.
- React Native: It gives developers a lot of flexibility. It lets them pick their own improvement condition. They can choose any IDE/word processor for their versatile application improvement work.
Fortunately, there is an incredible number of good IDEs and content tools accessible on the Internet, for example, Atom, Sublime Text, Visual Studio Code, Nuclide, Vim Editor, GNU Emacs Editor, Deco IDE, etc. Hence, the developer can openly pick the one they like the most.
- Xamarin: To develop a Xamarin application, the developer needs to work in Visual Studio. That is the main choice accessible. However, there are different conditions, in any case, working with them isn’t simple.
So the key development condition is setting up the environment for building a versatile application with Xamarin in Visual Studio. In any case, remember that it gives a stunning Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Visual Studio gives you numerous helpful devices, controls, and designs that make your portable application development work straightforward and smooth.
3 – Development Speed
The time of developing apps depends extensively on approaches, processes, tools and best practices.
- React Native: The key feature of ‘Hot Reload’ in React Native speeds up the development process. You can save a ton of time by utilizing this component since it lets you reload your application without reloading it.
So in the wake of making a few adjustments in the code, you don’t have to incorporate the code once more. Basically hot reload the application. Additionally, React Native comes loaded with numerous pre-built components that you can use to achieve a faster app development speed.
- Xamarin: When it comes to Xamarin, the presence of Visual Studio development tools speeds up the development process. The controls and formats save you a great deal of time while building an application.
You don’t have to code the controls without any preparation. Rather, you can basically utilize the accessible controls. What’s more, the Xamarin and NuGet modules make your work a lot simpler while buying you heaps of time.
4 – Market Share
Let’s see who has the bigger piece of the market pie – React Native or Xamarin.
- React Native: It has been consistently utilized by numerous organizations, startups as well as small-medium corporates. What apps use React Native? The well-known companies using React Native include Facebook, Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, F8, Facebook Analytics, Skype, Pinterest, Bloomberg, Uber, Walmart, Tesla, Artsy, Chop, Discord, Vogue, etc.
- Xamarin: What apps use Xamarin you may ask? Backed by Microsoft, Xamarin has a community of over 700,000 developers that come from 37,000 different companies. Some of the top companies using Xamarin are Honeywell, Samsung, Slack, BOSCH, Cognizant, JetBlue, etc.
Is Xamarin better than react native or vice-versa? As you can see in the graph below, it’s almost a tie. Both React Native and Xamarin are loved by the developers and doing great in the market.
5 – Community Support
To look out for faults and defects and offering support for the same, community support is essential.
- React Native: This framework has a huge network of developers globally. There is an immense number of learning materials accessible on the Internet for React Native. So you can learn it practically by utilizing the online courses, instructional exercises, and recordings accessible on the web.
Not only this, but there are also a great number of blog entries and articles expounded on React Native. Meet Up, Telegram, Reddit, Slack and Stack overflow are some of the common platforms where you can find n-number of React Native developers, projects, conferences, and live events.
- Xamarin: Though Xamarin is only two years younger than React Native, it doesn’t make any difference when it comes to great network support from the developer community.
This open-source framework’s community consists of ~1.4 million developers and 60,000+ contributors. Stack Overflow, Reddit and Xamarin Q&A are some of the popular channels where you can easily get in touch with active Xamarin community members.
6 – Popularity
The best strategy to measure the effectiveness and popularity of both frameworks would be to be abreast of the trends in an online search.
- React Native: According to Statista, React Native has been basking in the victory especially for the developers when it comes to application development. The graph shows the steadiness in its popularity past two years that represents its significance.
- Xamarin: Though Xamarin has come down by 12% since past year, it still is a popular choice when it comes to demand for the best cross-platform development. It significantly contributes to rendering the native UI functionality.
On the whole, React Native is a better framework for cross-platform mobile app development.
Comparison Between Xamarin Vs React Native
Why should we compare Xamarin VS React Native? Which mobile app development technology should you choose? What to consider when comparing Xamarin and React Native? Take a look at this side-by-side comparison to decide.
Hence, based on the above comparison and hours of comprehensive research, the conclusion we’ve drawn upon is:
- React Native has steady growth, offers impeccable code structure and comes with great community support.
- React Native is the most preferred option for app development when you wish to build a social media or eCommerce application.
- Xamarin code written in C# can be easily ported to both android and iPhone application development.
- Xamarin is the right platform to consider when you seek a faster development process, are considering MVC & MVVM patterns and don’t need high-end graphics into your application.
Xamarin VS React Native: The Finishing Remarks
Winding up, the demand for cross-platform app development is seeing a huge surge. Both Xamarin and React Native reflect traits to be the perfect app development tool for businesses in 2021.
Is Xamarin better than react native? Please note that the choice between the two ultimately comes down to your business objectives, project requirements and tech stacks. However, in today’s scenario, React Native has proven to be a promising framework. It has steady growth, flawless code structure as well as huge community support.
But whatever you choose between Xamarin vs React Native, we at Appventurez has a dedicated team that works fluently on both React Native and Xamarin.
Our developers have years of experience, right development knowledge and are on top of their game. If you still have doubts about which framework to choose for your next project, get in touch with us. We’ll be happy to guide you across and help you develop your next project.
Co-Founder and VP Mobile Architect of Appventurez. A software professional who is highly experienced in Android, Flutter, React Native. He is a passionate developer with excellent programming skill who believes in bridging the technology gap and making the life of a large number of people much easier through his wide knowledge and experience.
⚡️ by Appventurez
Hey there! This is Sitaram, author of this blog. Leave your email address and we'll keep you posted on what we're up to.
This will subscribe you to Appventurez once-a-month newsletter. You can unsubscribe anytime. And we promise not to pester you or share your data :)
Hey there, wondering where this article came from? It was produced by some people at Appventurez, a Mobile & Web App Development Company. We are here for solutioning of your technological needs.
Our Latest Blog
As we continue to face unprecedented turbulence due to the pandemic, advancemen...Read more