When the discourse of iOS app development pushes on in the habitat, the crux of the debate always winds up to selecting the best programming language between Objective C and Swift, until now. The new-gen developers keep on rooting out particulars that can ease their procedure of building a state-of-the-art app. With that said, they have stumbled upon a term called – App Architecture.
There are many iOS architecture patterns but choosing the best among many is quite challenging. In this rapidly evolving digital space, the tech-oriented startups are popping up with ultimate app ideas leaving developers in a state of amazement and in quandary, for the most part. Developing an iOS app is no easy feat to pull off. From selecting development technology, device compatibility to sort out navigation issues, the developers tread on the heels of several functionalities seeking inspiration from previous development methods at once in order to develop an app that gains momentum in a short span of time.
Ever since the on-demand services have been brought to the fore, the different types of apps have become a new revolution for smartphones that have leveraged users to put all the functionalities right in the pocket. As mobile apps have grown up to become a new necessity of the current era, the developers too have become intelligent in adopting various methods to build an app. Out of many, deciding on one of the best and popular architecture patterns for building an app has taken a quantum leap in approaching mobile app development.
Today’s article will be focused on getting insight into different types of iOS architectural patterns that developers maneuver while devising the iOS app for different business verticals.
Also, read – Top iOS App Development Tools in 2021
What is iOS App Architecture?
App architecture is a map of several significant elements that defines the framework of an organization’s application solutions that can easily interact with each other and conclude the business as well as user requirements. The major reason why developers devote their time diligently in creating an iOS architecture by considering iOS app architecture best practices to ensure that applications, they are working on, are scalable and reliable. Choosing certain iOS architecture patterns for your app determines the design of different aspects of the application or software. MVC, MVP, MVVM, and Viper are some most suited iOS architecture patterns that we will be knowing about in detail later in this article.
What Is Component-Based Architecture?
Component-based architecture is one of the branches of software programming that provides pensiveness for object-oriented design principles. The basic nature of component-based architecture is to bestow logical reusable building block components in mobile app design which is powered by methods and properties. In the current world where the app demand is rocketing, the component-based mobile architecture allows developers to find solace in developing the mobile-based solution.
Four Most Popular iOS Architecture Patterns for Developing Intuitive Apps
The developers who have gained immense experience in building mobile apps for different platforms keep on evaluating design patterns for mobile development. Building a mobile application with the right design and architectural pattern is something that can shape an iOS app as per user-necessities. When it comes to iOS architectural patterns, the programmers invest highly in creating a verifiable and compatible code structure that all developers can easily understand which eventually leads the development team to face no difficulties in testing and launching. If you are aspiring to make a productive and fruitful iOS app that stands out in the market, creating iOS architecture patterns would be highly recommended as it is something that provides a solid foundation to your application. Let’s have a look at some widely known architecture patterns iOS developers use.
Check this post – Top Design Patterns Used in Swift for developing iOS Apps
MVC (Model View Controller): Advantage, Disadvantage & Uses
What is a Model View Controller?
MVC is one of the most recommended and used architecture patterns by iOS developers. The basic objective of using model view controller pattern is to create a user interface that divides the program logic into three elements i.e. –
- Model – Responsible for data and data access layer.
- View – Responsible for graphic display of data.
- Controller – Interconnects Model and View component.
Model view controller pattern specifies the model and view components for the developers. It could be termed as a default iOS architecture pattern that receives all the view actions, disseminates and receives changes from the model, and eventually applies those changes to the view. MVC was primarily designed for desktop computing but has seemingly emerged to become the most-loved architecture pattern for web and mobile apps. Let’s further discuss the disadvantages/advantages of MVC and its uses.
Advantages of using MVC Framework
- Contributes to a faster development process.
- Provide multiple views for a model.
- Provides high cohesion and groups, specific models.
- Easy to add a new type of view via MVC.
- Supports the development of SEO friendly web-pages.
Disadvantages of using MVC Framework
- Has a complex development pattern as per some developers.
- Not suitable for small-scale applications.
- Frequent changes lead to constant update requests.
- Strict methodological rule.
Use of MVC model
Now the question of the century that has already made squirm many developers is – why MVC model for mobile app development? Since we have discussed the model view controller in detail along with its pros and cons, the inherent nature of MVC makes it the first and foremost demanded model for iOS app development. If you are considering developing an app with a faster process that builds a support system for asynchronous techniques, MVC is a go-to choice, however, the basic feature offered by MVC i.e. common model and controller for all views makes it a widely acclaimed iOS architecture patterns among developers.
MVP (Model View Presenter): Advantage, Disadvantage & Uses
What is a Model View Presenter?
Model View Presenter (MVP) is another mobile app architecture best practices that is used by iOS developers for mobile app development. It is basically an inference of the MVC model. MVP is vastly used for building UI. Though it may sound very similar to the model view controller it is way different in actual as MVP has a completely alternate focus. Where MVC tries to overlook view logic with respect to the controller, MVP moves much of the view logic into the controller which it calls presenter. MVP involves iOS app architecture best practices. The model of MVP can be divided into four elements i.e. –
- Model – Responsible for deploying UI elements.
- View – Responsible for the graphical display of data.
- View Interface – Bridges the gap between model and view.
- Presenter – Operates as an interval between the model and view layer.
In MVP, the presenter plays a vital role which is hugely responsible for making interaction with the controller and the model.
Advantages of using MVP framework
- Derivation of MVC makes it easy to adapt by developers.
- Presenter helps in analyzing the model and view profoundly.
- A different implementation of view components via modularity.
- Test units can easily be created as compared to MVC.
- Explicit separation of responsibilities between components.
Disadvantages of using MVP framework
- A one-to-one mapping between the presenter and the view could be improbable for development.
- Unable to limit the UI logic handling.
- Not suitable for simple and small mobile solutions.
- Controllers manipulate data models.
Use of MVP model
MVP is beyond model-view-presenter. A coder who works on the development of a particular solution mostly uses it to build a user interface with an implementation of .NET, Java, PHP, and many other interoperable programming languages. It initially was created to make module testing easier but now the developers are putting it to use for mobile app development. If we closely look at the MVP’s separate components, we will find how each of them has a pivotal role to play in building fine iOS architecture patterns. Moreover, when the developers get into developing a mobile solution that has limited UI elements, Model View Presenter is a viable choice to be considered.
Also, read – Top iOS App Development Tools in 2021
MVVM (Model View- Viewmodel): Advantages, Disadvantages & Uses
What is a Model View- View Model?
Are you finding yourself ringed around so much technical jargon to understand the architectural patterns for mobile app development strategies? Let me help you comprehend MVVM in layman’s terms. So basically, whenever a model requires separation of the GUI from the business development logic, the developers prefer leaning to use the MVVM architecture iOS of developing an app. Apart from providing a complete view model, the MVVM offers XAML platforms with an intrinsic pattern. There are three basic elements in MVVM i.e. –
- Model – It is a structure that manages the data.
- View – Views are responsible for the presentation layer.
- ViewModel – Works as a mediator between Model and View.
MVP and MVVM patterns are very popular patterns not just for iOS but Android development as well. Caliburn Micro, Prism, and MVVM Light are some popular MVVM android example frameworks that developers can use to build an iOS application. By implementing display control features, MVVM prevents UI from becoming an intractable class.
Advantages of using MVVM framework
- MVVM patterns offer alternatives to many iOS architecture patterns.
- Add view models to the mix and provide a better separation of concerns.
- Breaks alliance between app logic and UI to make testing more accessible.
- Separation leads to ease of maintainability.
- Provides a transparent interface to the view controller.
- Takes the responsibility of exposing data objects.
Disadvantages of using MVVM framework
- Not beneficial for simple UI.
- Data-binding is declarative and difficult to debug.
- Does not provide a replacement to CodeBehind files.
- Difficult to put to use by newbie developers.
Use of MVVM model
MVVM is a design pattern aimed at modularising your code for UI architecture in iOS mobile app development. Where other architectural iOS patterns such as MVP, MVC makes the controllers quite heavy and convoluted, MVVM takes the seat and bridges the vaguely coupled mechanism between all components. Apart from that, it comes out as the most significant consideration for developers as they can perform test-driven development and write down Unit Test Cases for View Models (read – an introduction to MVVM in Flutter). This eventually gives iOS programmers an idea of where they went wrong while keeping the controllers in code management.
Viper (View, Interactor, Presenter, Entity, and Router): Advantage, Disadvantage & Uses
What is a VIPER?
Finding a suitable architectural solution can really be challenging at times. Mainly, when you are new to such terms and do not know how each one of the architecture patterns functions and has different benefits to unleash. VIPER, which stands for View, Interactor, Presenter, Entity, and Router, is a model that has five elements to surprise developers with clean architectural patterns. While building iOS architecture patterns with a model that works on modular code-based theory, VIPER is industry-best and unbeatable. The functions of five integral VIPER architecture are
- View – Responsible for exchanging actions between users and the presenter.
- Interactor – Carries business logic.
- Presenter – Access data from the interactor and send it to the view.
- Entity – Carries basic model objects used by the interactor.
- Router – Stores the navigation logic.
VIPER steadily wins over other popular iOS architecture patterns in terms of unit testing. Its simple yet impressive distribution of several patterns and components runs easily through the available realization.
Advantages of using VIPER framework
- Simplifies complex projects.
- Best operable architecture for large teams.
- Disassociates code for reusability and testability.
- Creates clear and well-defined interfaces.
- Reduces the number of merge conflicts.
- Makes the codebase look similar.
Disadvantages of using VIPER framework
- Developers have noticed a few performance issues.
- Not compatible with third-party SDKs.
- Documentation is a bit uneasy to understand.
- Non-flexible communication between components.
Use of VIPER model
Are you considering following iOS app architecture best practices? Well, VIPER could be the right choice for you. Since VIPER has already gained a lot of traction till last year, the developers seem to be impressed by this particular architecture pattern and the way it keeps the modules isolated to eliminate any confuser for developers is just phenomenal. Having sufficient knowledge about the architecture pattern is critical when it comes to building an over-the-top iOS app for your client. Though each pattern has a different and specific purpose to serve, VIPER is practical in terms of fitting each component together that too in a logical manner. VIPER is based on the Single Responsibility Principle (SRP) which is mostly preferred by developers for a clean architecture of an app.
Three Major Things to Keep in Mind While Choosing Design iOS Architecture Pattern
Do you always find yourself asking which iOS architecture pattern is right for me?
Honestly, it is one of the questions that each developer should be asking themselves as there’s no one-size-fits-all pattern that would work for everyone. There are many different aspects to consider the best iOS architecture pattern for your next app development, some major ones are given below.
- Identify problems with the code – As you are going to embark on an iOS architectural project, the basic necessity is to understand the current state of your codebase and evaluate different architectural patterns based on that.
- Focus on strengthening UI code quality – The core objective of app architecture pattern designs is to fix the UI features. Hence, when developers approach object-oriented programming, it becomes important whether the model can handle the component interoperability.
- Complexity of app UI – The most crucial part of choosing the best design architecture pattern for iOS lies in knowing the in-and-out of your app design. The more comprehensively you know the UI design, the easier it would be for developers to decide with the right model.
How Appventurez Can Help You Decide on the Correct iOS Architecture Pattern?
If we look closely at all the design patterns and consider above mentioned popular iOS architecture patterns, the one thing that we notice common in all is each of them focuses on making the UI more interactive for the app. Since each iOS architecture patterns has its own advantages and disadvantages, if developers look at the MVC, MVP, MVVM, and VIPER from the logic and presentation end, they can easily reach a conclusion on choosing the best for their project. Although, if you are still not able to decide which among all would be best suitable for your next project, the developers and consultants at Appventurez are always there to help you.
Want to know about design architecture patterns in detail? Reach out to our experts.
Being an enthusiast tech geek, he is leading the team through immense support and guidance along the software development journey. He has the capability to utilize multiple technologies and frameworks while building the futuristic digital products.
⚡️ by Appventurez
Hey there! This is Suryansh, author of this blog. Leave your email address and we'll keep you posted on what we're up to.
This will subscribe you to Appventurez once-a-month newsletter. You can unsubscribe anytime. And we promise not to pester you or share your data :)
Hey there, wondering where this article came from? It was produced by some people at Appventurez, a Mobile & Web App Development Company. We are here for solutioning of your technological needs.
Our Latest Blog
Occupied timetables, constant duties, and life, when all is said in done, make ...Read more
Finance without strategy is just numbers and strategy without finance is just d...Read more
Machine learning has grown as a game-changer for different businesses and organ...Read more