This quote is extremely near to my heart as it speaks what we all know but everyone doesn’t heed it. If anything people make resolutions every year and end up forgetting it on the first day.
Hence, comes the fitness and health applications that are trying to make it a bit easy for the fanatics to maintain their health. We will be covering a majority of questions in this fitness app development guide.
How much does it cost to develop a fitness app?
How long does it take to develop a fitness app?
Is it an ideal solution for health and fitness fanatics?
Without further ado, let’s follow up on the major aspects of fitness apps, their stats, cost, time is taken for development, and features.
Fitness App Development
If we talk about the major trends of the fitness and health industry that are ruling the market at present. It is not just about the new year resolutions but it is much more than this.
Especially the impact on fitness apps due to COVID-19 is something that no one could have predicted. We are in a time where everyone is now becoming curious about fitness and not being able to hit the gym as per their wishes.
But what is the current scenario of the fitness apps that people are just jumping directly into its development?
It is becoming more efficient and progressing for the business to opt for the fitness industry. To give you a better understanding here is the revenue of the Fitness app market.
Apart from this, there are several other statistics that one must be aware of such as:
- Gym membership is extremely common in countries like India, the USA, and Europe. 1 out of 5 is the average number.
- By 2021, it is expected to reach a margin of 4101 million in revenue for health and fitness apps.
- By the end of 2020, the wearable market integrated with the fitness app is expected to cross the margin of $18,984.
- The annual growth rate of the fitness industry by the end of 2023 is around $20,499 with a 5% increase from the CAGR of 2019.
These are just the results of the consciousness of users that are running straight towards their fitness and health.
Today, fitness apps are well divided up into different forms that allow users to be in constant touch with their health.
But before that, it is essential to know all the major categories that we will be covering in the fitness app development guide. For this, there are different types of fitness apps that one needs to be well aware of.
#1 Diet & Nutrition Application
The first name under the type of fitness application is of the diet and nutrition that is a major aspect of being fit. If you want to stay fit then it is best to be aware of the food habits, calories, body weight, water balance, etc.
It is essential to have a proper list of groceries, personal goals, and recipes that can help the users a lot to maintain a balanced and healthy diet. It also includes gamification elements, engaging features, slimming competition, scoreboards, etc. This includes the specific functionalities that allow users to track their diet and nutrition habits.
Some applications allow users to build connections and share their struggles or experiences. The users have the goals that they need to achieve daily that are calculated in a comprehensive and detailed manner.
#2 Workout Application
Another type of fitness application is specifically for the workout through which users can train at any time. It includes a coach that can help the users in getting the abs, perfect workout, Zumba, and whatnot.
The workout included in such apps is a bit different such as lower body, core strength, upper body, custom workout, anything goes, and even the full body. Some timers help the users to work out easily in the specific time frame starting with five minutes and going to even one hour and more.
Additionally, the user can easily turn sound on or off, skip exercises, pause, and whatnot. There is an option of social sharing as well that allows users to post their achievements online and even invite their friends on Twitter and Facebook.
#3 Activity Tracking Application
This is something that doesn’t give videos to the users for a workout but it controls the whole process. It tracks the quality of sleep, pedometer, and count calories to ensure that users are healthy. The app includes several features and indicators that help users to work easily and understand their stats.
#4 Meditation & Yoga Application
Next in line is the application like yoga and meditation that allows users to meditate and invest time in yoga. This brings peace of mind and helps in increasing the concentration level that allows users to be fit. It is a great way to provide directions and demonstrate to do yoga poses, asana, and pranayama. This can also be a great addition to the best self-care apps.
These are the major aspects of the fitness app that can be extremely beneficial for businesses. However, to achieve success in these aspects, it is essential to understand the major strategies that we are covering in this fitness app development guide that can help businesses thrive in the market.
- Type of Application – The first and foremost aspect of fitness app development is to understand the application type. Whether it is going to be a yoga app or workout, be very specific and clear about it before working on variations of the program.
- Development Approach – Next is to understand how the development is going to be like. What is the platform? Fitness training? Device compatibility? Cross-platform app? Native app? These are a few of the major questions that one needs to answer before diving into the world of development methods. These questions also help in determining the cost of fitness app development.
- Functionality – The fitness app will include some major sets of features and functionalities that will be simple as well as complex. It is essential to describe the functionalities that can help in attracting customers and hooking them while earning money.
- Advertising – The next aspect is the marketing and advertising industry whose motive is to promote the product. Keep in mind that promotions mean investing money.
- Choosing the right company – Well, you have things to keep in mind so know the right mobile app development company as well that you would like to hire. It is essential to keep the team in mind and we will be covering it in a bit details later in the blog.
- Support – It is essential to understand that the fitness application is just the start of your dream. There are so many other aspects such as support to the application and new features that are included in the costing factor.
Features of Fitness Mobile Apps
Before diving into the cost of the fitness apps, it is essential to know the features that are included in the list and help in determining the cost of mobile app development. To give you a basic understanding, here are the major features that every fitness app must-have.
1. Registration – The first and foremost feature is to give a streamlined and easy registration process to the users. It can be done with the help of a phone number, email address, or even social media integration. This makes it easy for users to dive into fitness directly.
2. User Profile – The next aspect is the profile of the users that contains necessary information like age, gender, weight, height, etc. It is to analyze and get an understanding of what users are like and what will be the best recommendation for them.
3. Training Database – It is essential to make sure that the goals of the businesses can be achieved easily. If the users can not achieve their goals then the app is of no use to them. Hence, it is best to include tutorials, activities, and live sessions that can help them in achieving goals.
4. Tracking – Next is tracking that work on activities that users do. It is to ensure tracking of the daily routine of users like sleep hours, steps, arterial tension, pulse, and so on. Additionally, it is not usually connected to any external devices and hence can monitor some basic activities like steps and sleeping hours.
5. Game Element – You gave an application to the users but what will make them keep that app on their mobile devices. It is not just attracting users but to retain them to the app that can be done easily with the socially-game elements. These are the major ways that can help users to enjoy the fitness app with interesting gamification options. Additionally, it is best to progress the app as per the conditional levels that make users work to achieve the goals. Once the level is achieved, users can get a reward that can be discounted or bonuses for the next level.
6. Push Notifications – One of the major features of the fitness application is the push notification. It is essential to give real-time information to the users about the new addition or deals that can help them in growing and thriving. The best thing is to visit the gym, use the programs, and perform actions.
7. Diet Features – This is a great addition to the fitness app that works on the complementary diet plan. It can be as per the calories, height, weight, illness, etc. of users that can be cured easily with a proper diet.
8. Social Networking Integration – As mentioned above, social media integration can be done for easy registration and sharing the details on social platforms. This can be for Twitter, Google Plus, and Facebook.
9. Personalized Tasks – Another of the major features of the fitness app is the personalization of the user account that can be done easily. Users love things that are under their control and they can edit or update it regularly. The app can be for the goals and tasks set up with the desired deadline.
10. Wearable Devices Synchronization – This is relatively new to the mobile app development world. There is no doubt that AI, AR, VR, etc. are taking over the industry, and hence the addition of wearable technology is becoming a new trend. These features can include a great way to track activities and help in real-time using external devices like gadgets, tablets, personal computers, watches, bands, etc. as a major addition to wearable app development. The data tracked using the devices is synchronized with a fitness app that analyzes it for further use.
11. Geolocation – It has become one of the most common features of the fitness application. With a fitness app, it can be used for running, cycling, walking, etc. while knowing the precise location as the prominent addition.
12. Payment – For the high-end fitness applications, the payment gateway is the key holder that offers major services for free while users have to pay for extensive services. They can also purchase the subscription model that allows users to avail of free fitness for a specific time while paying in advance for the month or so. This is to add monetary value to the application.
13. Dashboard – This is the feature that helps the admin to have a record of all the necessary information. Admin can have full control over the live sessions and access the user movements.
14. Admin Panel – This is the feature that works on the admin side working on the major fitness tracker features of the application. It is a vital addition to the fitness application to increase the overall value.
15. Rewards – Last but one of the most vital features of the fitness application is the promotional tools that help in determining the process with the admin side. It can be with features like social sharing, retargeting, push notification, etc.
These are the major features of the fitness app development that can help in determining the cost. It is best for the clients to limit the financial aspects in case of any budgeting. With this, let us help you to determine the fitness app development cost.
How Much Does it Cost to Develop a Fitness App?
The best and economical way of developing a fitness app is to know the hooks and features of it. This can be done to get the appropriate cost of the development and even to cut down unnecessary costs.
To help you understand it, here are the major factors that help in determining the cost to develop fitness app. Here are a few significant steps.
1. Fitness Idea
Let your imagination run wild as your thoughts and bring out something unique from the depth of your unconscious mind. This will give you something unique and help you plan out the budget (nothing comes free) for the project to bring it to life. It can be design, development, marketing, and whatnot that will be added to the cost. But if your planning phase is best then there is nothing that can hold you back. So, pay attention to every aspect of this step.
2. Market Research
Next is the market and competitor research that gives the best understanding of what should and shouldn’t be part of a fitness app. The research showcases the expectation of the audience with self-dependent datasets. It also includes major aspects like making the model profitable for businesses, understanding future users, and also the competitors that are already doing well in the market.
3. App Platform
If we talk about the app platform then it is essential to know the best platform like iOS or Android for the mobile app. As we all know that iOS and Android are two major platforms that are ruling the market that directly affect the cost of development. Whether the developers can go for iOS, Android, or both that will increase the cost.
Next in line is the complexity of the fitness app that will influence the cost. It can be medium, low, simple, and high-end complexity levels that will include different functionalities and features. This directly impacts the cost of app development.
5. Requirements List
Next is the requirement list that is explained above as the features making it a vital part of the fitness app development guide. Usually, businesses recommend the minimum viable product for startups that can be an ideal choice that launches the app with essential features and adds a new one with every update. This model can be used by the business owners only when they understand the user behavior and know what features will hook them in the first draft of the app.
6. Mobile App Development Team
Then comes the mobile app development team that one must be aware of. It is essential to have a team of experienced project managers, web developers, requirement analysts, QA engineers, UI/UX designers, marketers, iOS, and Android app developers. This is the major addition in the costing of the fitness app development that is done from planning to the execution, and final launch of the app.
7. Tech Stack of Fitness Apps
It is a challenging task to choose the right technology stack for your mobile app and the fitness app is not different. This is done with a number of the tech stack that includes:
|Push Notification||Push.io & Twilio|
|Nutrition Feeds||MyFitnesspal & NutritionX|
|Phone Verification, Voice, & SMS||Twilio & Nexmo|
|Payment Gateways||eWallets, Stripe, PayPal, Square, Authorize.net, & |
|Cloud Environment||AWS & Microsoft SQL|
|Database||Postgress, Hbase, MongoDB, MailChimp Integration, |
MySQL, & Cassandra
|Real-time Analysis||IBM, Cisco, Apache Flink, BigData, Spark, & Hadoop|
|Wearable Integration||Jawbone, Apple-watch, Garmin, & Fitbit|
|Programming Language||Java, Android Studio for AndroidSwift, Xcode for iOS|
|Backend Development||PHP & Laravel|
|Location & Analytics||Geofence, Google API, and Google Analytics & Webmaster|
|SaaS & Email Solution||ZOHO, SaaS API, & SendinBlue|
|Step Tracker||Jawbone UP, Exist API, & Strava|
8. Marketing & Promotion
Another of the major factors is the marketing and promotion aspect that includes additional features with push notification, social networking, discounts, and so on. It is essential to be aware of the major marketing models that can help in bringing in the maximum audience and help the business to grow. It is vital to opt for the best marketing strategies otherwise, the whole development might be a waste of time. It is best to go through the major blogs to know more:
9. Monetization Model
“How much do fitness apps make” is the biggest question that we need answers to. The fitness apps include the additional cost for monetization as well but the fact is that it is a one-time investment. You have to monetize your app once and then avail the benefit for the future. This can either be running the ads, in-app purchases, and even the sponsorship for the fitness app that can be a plus for the company. Here are the major blogs that can give you an insight into the monetization world.
- Mobile App Monetization Models
- Earn money by developing mobile app
- Money earn through app
- How free app make money
How Long Does it Take to Develop a Fitness App?
Now we know the major aspect of fitness app development but what about the time for developing a fitness app. How long does it take to develop an application is one of the biggest questions that companies ask.
The fact is that the time taken to develop an app depends upon the features and what are the major things that are included in the development. On average, here is a glimpse into the basic time for the overall cycle.
If we go for the basic estimation of the overall time then the overall time will be around 1200-1500 hours that includes the process from Analysis to research, Design & UI/UX to Development & backend process, and then lastly testing. Then there is cost and for maintenance as well that is included in the overall process.
To give you a better understanding, here are some of the major examples of Fitness apps.
It is essential to know the overall cost to develop fitness app before you dive into the whole process. The cost will be approximately 15,000 to 30,000 USD for a single platform whereas for additional features that these it can reach 60,000 USD.
However, it is best to keep in mind that the overall cost of the fitness app including all the major aspects will be around 50,000 USD that will stand out in the market. This might be a bit tricky but with the right plan, it will be as easy as a cakewalk.
The mobile app development depends upon the formatting and features that make it unique among its competitors. So, make sure to hire the right development team that can meet all the requirements.
With this fitness app development guide, it will be cleared to you that fitness apps are now a driving force that is ruling the market. This is becoming essential for businesses to understand their depth before diving into it.
For more details, contact us and we will help you out.
A technocrat and an entrepreneur who is the Co-Founder and Chief Delivery Head at Appventurez. Skilled in object-oriented programming (OOP), iOS Development, Design Principles, Data Structures, and Swift, he has served different organizations as Tech Lead.
⚡️ by Appventurez
Hey there! This is Chandrapal, author of this blog. Leave your email address and we'll keep you posted on what we're up to.
This will subscribe you to Appventurez once-a-month newsletter. You can unsubscribe anytime. And we promise not to pester you or share your data :)
Hey there, wondering where this article came from? It was produced by some people at Appventurez, a Mobile & Web App Development Company. We are here for solutioning of your technological needs.
Our Latest Blog
Large numbers of us have various recollections related to the hospitals and eme...Read more
In this rapidly evolving marketplace where everything has gone digital, website...Read more
“Web app development is important because you will be showing the authenticit...Read more